Key Leaders Conference
Chicago, Illinois – March 15–17, 2004
For the purpose of this conference, key leaders refers to superintendents, school board members, and union/association leaders, or, in districts without teacher associations, other de facto teacher leaders. The focus of this year's conference will be on what these leaders might do to build capacity in order to ensure continuity of direction and coordination of effort for the school district.
Districts may find it useful, for example, to send a team that includes the superintendent and the district facilitator, two board members, and one or two union/association/teacher leaders. In any case, this conference will only be useful to a district's work if the superintendent is in attendance.
On Monday and Tuesday, conference sessions will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end by 4:00 p.m. On Wednesday, the session will begin at 8:00 a.m. and conclude by noon . The conference will utilize General Sessions, Role-Alike Sessions, and District Team Activities. We are also planning one learning experience that spotlights a Chicago organization and its work in providing continuity of direction and coordination of effort. Several outcomes are expected for conference participants.
- Develop an understanding of and a commitment to creating organizational continuity—continuity of leadership and innovation.
- Create a picture of the defining events that have helped shape the organization, particularly with respect to continuity of direction and coordination of effort.
- Create a picture of the future, including desired defining events and how a succession plan might ensure continuity into the future.
- Ascertain the current degree of continuity of direction and coordination of effort between and among those in the superintendent's office, union leadership, and the board of education.
- Develop specific plans for enhancing continuity of direction and coordination of effort.
For Registration Information and Other Inquiries:
Tena Lutz, CLSR Conference Coordinator, can be reached at 502.895.1942 concerning registration and logistics. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions about any of the summer academies. We know you may want information and guidance in identifying participants for a particular session.
Additional CLSR Contacts: